The normal adoption fee for a puppy or adult dog is $150. This fee includes the spay or neuter, microchip and microchip registry, and all age appropriate vaccines. The medical history of each pet is discussed in length in the adoption counseling session. Be sure to ask any questions of the adoption counselor. FHS encourages you to get the opinion of your vet before committing to a new pet.
The typical adoption fee for a kitten or adult cat is $100. This adoption fee includes the spay or neuter, microchip and microchip registry, and all age appropriate vaccines. See the How to Adopt page for complete information about what care goes into each FHS pet.
Special Adoption Pricing:
- FHS believes senior pets have a lot of love left to give. FHS considers pets of 6 years(+) to be seniors. All senior pets are half the normal adoption fee making a senior dog $75 and a senior cat $50. A senior person (65+) adopting a senior animal will have a completely waived adoption fee.
- FHS appreciates the sacrifice veterans have made. We offer a veterans discount when adopting.
- FHS acknowledges the financial commitment that comes along with the adoption of a heartworm positive dog or a FIV cat. The adoption fee of these dogs is $75 and the adoption fee for a FIV cat is $50. Please speak to your veterinarian and to an adoption counselor about the medical care required for these pets.
- A shelter pet may have a portion of their adoption fee, or the entire adoption fee sponsored by a donor. These gifts are usually kept secret until after the adoption has been approved. If you’d like to make a contribution to an adoption fee, please call our Country Club front desk at (336) 721-1303 or our University North front desk at (336) 955-1750.
- Generous gifts in memory or honor of loved ones amd pets may be made to sponsor a 90% Save Rate Adoption Event to save more lives. On these days, dog adoption fees are 90% off, making them $15, while cats are $10. For more information about sponsoring an adoption event, please contact Carrie DuPre, Development Coordinator at CDupre@forsythhumane.org or (336) 955-1740.