Would you love to create the perfect shelter? We want YOU, the entrepreneur and the dreamer. Forsyth Humane Society (FHS), the only open admissions 501(C)(3) in Forsyth County, operates two separate facilities including the animal care and adoptions for the county shelter, affecting the lives of over 6,000 animals. We are searching for a veterinarian to assist us in the medical management of the small animals in our care, refining treatment and infectious disease protocols and helping to steer us towards the ultimate goal of increasing our save rate to over 90%. We envision a better future for the animals in our community and we know it can done. If you dream of being part of a changing paradigm, come join us in beautiful Winston-Salem, NC!
Essential Functions and Job Responsibilities:
- Represent FHS program goals and our dedication to the healthcare of the animals we serve to outside veterinarians, agencies (including local Animal Control law enforcement) and interested parties.
- Provide leadership by example for medical staff and work collaboratively with all staff as an integral team member, helping to train staff as appropriate.
- Practice veterinary medicine from a shelter-centered perspective in accordance with policies and within budget guidelines.
- Responsible for medical protocols and ensure compliance with state and federal requirements. Protocols will follow shelter medicine best practices to the best of our ability.
- Responsible for daily rounds to assess the health of all shelter animals, provide basic health exams, diagnosis and treatment as necessary.
- Provide and implement infectious disease prevention protocols.
- Perform humane euthanasia as required.
- Ensure medical records are complete and accurate.
- Responsible for meeting DEA requirements, Department of Agriculture accreditation and maintaining current state licensure.
Competency, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing in a diverse range of audiences and settings
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Confidence in handling timid, fearful animals
- Candidate must promote and support the overall vision and strategic plan for the shelter
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Doctoral Degree DVM/ VMD
- NC State license to practice Veterinary Medicine. Minimum of 3 years preferred
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and insurable driving record
- DEA license – or ability to obtain
- Department of Agriculture Accreditation – or ability to obtain
- Experience with Shelter Medicine preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Must be able to bend, stoop, stretch, stand and sit for extended periods
- Ability to perform repetitive motions of wrists, hands and/or fingers due to extensive computer use
- Work environment may be stressful at times, as overall center activities and work levels fluctuate
- Excellent ability to communicate both verbally and written
- Ability to utilize a computer and other office equipment
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds as needed
Apply above or please send cover letter and resume to Mark Neff, Executive Director, at email@example.com