The Health & Wellness Technician services on a team which supports the overall medical care for all animals under Forsyth Humane Society’s care. Responsibilities include: Complying with the Department of Agriculture vaccination and medication regulations and following Forsyth Humane Society’s Medical Policies and Procedures.
Essential Functions and Job Responsibilities:
- Performs physical examinations, in-house diagnostic testing, administers vaccinations, maintains accurate medical records, prepares and administers medications as part of the established Policies and Procedures
- Evaluates health of animals under care of the Forsyth Humane Society, identifying and addressing illness according to Policies and Procedures and coordinating with the Veterinarian as needed
- Comply with all OSHA standards surrounding safety standards
- Assist with maintaining inventory of supplies and medications.
- Transfer and medically evaluate animals coming from Animal Control assuring proper documentation of transfer and proper legal hold periods are placed per Forsyth County Ordinance.
- Performs euthanasia by injection, maintaining associated records including DEA controlled substance records.
- Educate guests about FHS programs
- Other functions as determined by Leadership
Competency, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of animal shelter policies and procedures
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to keep accurate and detailed records
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Confidence in handling timid, fearful animals
- Ability to perform math, including calculate drug dosages
- Ability to obtain certification as a rabies vaccinator
- Ability to obtain certification and perform euthanasia by injection.
- Proficient in the use of medical equipment such as a microscope, stethoscope, syringes, catheters, centrifuge, etc.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Animal Science, Biology, or related
- May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the degree requirement
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with either animal handling, husbandry, care, training etc.
- Valid driver’s license
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Must be able to bend, stoop, stretch, stand and sit for extended periods
- Ability to perform repetitive motions of wrists, hands and/or fingers due to extensive computer use
- Work environment may be stressful at times, as overall center activities and work levels fluctuate
- Excellent ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to utilize a personal computer and other office equipment
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds as needed
Apply above or please send cover letter and resume to Mark Neff, Executive Director, at email@example.com